Monday, October 21, 2013

Deciding on Brazil... Should I or Shouldn't I

Not long ago I made probably the biggest decision of my life by giving up everything and I mean everything I ever owned or worked for to move to Brazil. It was a decision I made of my own free will with very little influence from other people. Truthfully, I am the stubborn type and when I set my mind on something I will pretty much do whatever it takes to get it. That also what I would like to think makes me a survivor.

All the reasons I had for moving to Brazil are still technically valid - well almost. Five days before I moved (and 30 day too late) US Secretary of State, John Kerry announced that same-sex couples would be given the same visa privileges as heterosexual couples. (http://www.state.gov/secretary/remarks/2013/08/212643.htm)

I remember the true sense of anger that went through my body when I saw the announcement. I was absolutely irritated and visibly pissed off. I should have know right then and there where I really wanted to be. Under any other circumstance I would have normally been thrilled! It is clear - since I have been in Brazil I have already begun preparations to move back to the United States with my spouse once his K-1 visa application is provisionally approved. Here is the funny part - it will take longer for him to get his passport than it will a provisional visa to enter the United States. And if he didn't vote, he can't get a passport. That is right folks. No vote, no fun. Obligatory voting does exist, I never knew such a thing could be imposed on a human being!

Do I regret making the move? No. Would I do it again if asked? No. Why not? Because no matter how many times you are told, how long you mentally prepare yourself, no matter what you say or do to convince yourself it is the right decision - you honestly just won't know the truth until you actually DO IT.

My suggestion to anyone, even with the slightest inclination to consider moving to Brazil on the basis of marriage, investment, retirement, work, etc. is this. Read, read, read. Visit, visit, visit. I often read about people simply stating "Oh I want to move to Brazil, does anyone know how?" If you are asking that question you probably need to read more. Bureaucracy is at the very heart of Brazilian culture, it is the norm, it is accepted, and if you do not like it - guess what? You better start because you are in for one hell of a surprise.

I friend of mine told me recently - Matt you can't change Brazil. He is right. In my opinion it is a hopeless cause. Because if the citizens of the great country don't want to change it, why should I even care? Deep down inside I do care, but I just assume accept it for what it is and pray the people wake up and smell the coffee. Meanwhile I will continue to educate outsiders and expats outside Brazil about the true reality of the country. I have said several times before that Brazil has so much potential - SO MUCH. They must be blind. Hopefully the World Cup and/or the Olympics can help the people understand what happens in Brazil is truly BRAZILIAN - no other country I know can take claim to a similar culture or beliefs.

Bottom line is -


  • Visit Brazil at a bare minimum for a cumulative total of 30 days.
  • Obtain your CPF in Brazil before moving. (this will give you a very good idea what this blog is about - http://www.liveinbrazil.org/getting-cpf/    < --- I do not endorse anything other than this page on linked site.)
  • Know what type of visa you qualify for. If you still need ask you need to read more before moving.
  • Have a STRONG support system. And I mean rock solid. Have someone you can talk to if you are having problems. I realize this sounds like addiction treatment but I am serious. (Find an expat community - http://www.expat-blog.com)
  • Have a basic understanding of Portuguese (read this article: http://www.expat-blog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=151289
  • And whatever you do, don't move to Brazil thinking it is like what you see on TV. Yes, skyscrapers exists, awesome shopping, beautiful people, new houses but to most Brazilians they aren't 100% of Brazil. See the picture below - yes you can find housing like this - but a lot of people can not afford this lifestyle.




3 comments:

  1. Good morning how are you?

    My name is Emilio, I am a Spanish boy and I live in a town near to Madrid. I am a very interested person in knowing things so different as the culture, the way of life of the inhabitants of our planet, the fauna, the flora, and the landscapes of all the countries of the world etc. in summary, I am a person that enjoys traveling, learning and respecting people's diversity from all over the world.

    I would love to travel and meet in person all the aspects above mentioned, but unfortunately as this is very expensive and my purchasing power is quite small, so I devised a way to travel with the imagination in every corner of our planet. A few years ago I started a collection of used stamps because trough them, you can see pictures about fauna, flora, monuments, landscapes etc. from all the countries. As every day is more and more difficult to get stamps, some years ago I started a new collection in order to get traditional letters addressed to me in which my goal was to get at least 1 letter from each country in the world. This modest goal is feasible to reach in the most part of countries, but unfortunately it’s impossible to achieve in other various territories for several reasons, either because they are countries at war, either because they are countries with extreme poverty or because for whatever reason the postal system is not functioning properly.

    For all this I would ask you one small favor:
    Would you be so kind as to send me a letter by traditional mail from Brazil? I understand perfectly that you think that your blog is not the appropriate place to ask this, and even, is very probably that you ignore my letter, but I would call your attention to the difficulty involved in getting a letter from that country, and also I don’t know anyone neither where to write in Brazil in order to increase my collection. a letter for me is like a little souvenir, like if I have had visited that territory with my imagination and at same time, the arrival of the letters from a country is a sign of peace and normality and an original way to promote a country in the world. My postal address is the following one:

    Emilio Fernandez Esteban
    Avenida Juan de la Cierva, 44
    28902 Getafe (Madrid)
    Spain

    If you wish, you can visit my blog www.cartasenmibuzon.blogspot.com where you can see the pictures of all the letters that I have received from whole World.

    Finally I would like to thank the attention given to this letter, and whether you can help me or not, I send my best wishes for peace, health and happiness for you, your family and all your dear beings.

    Yours Sincerely

    Emilio Fernandez

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt,

    Over the past few months I've come to know you better than almost anyone I have met on Expat-blog. I must confess that even though we've never met in person, you have had a deep affect on me and have also changed the way I look at myself. You've shown me something I had forgotten and that is how important it is to me personally to help others.

    I know how difficult your adaptation has been, for several reasons. I also have a very good idea exactly what you gave up to come to this country too. Manaus is not all there is to Brazil. I sincerely hope that before you make the decision to move back to the USA final that you will try and travel a bit to see other parts of the country and see if there is some place where you'd be happier here.

    Regardless of what your decision is at the end of the day, you know that you will always have a friend in me. If you stay you'll have my complete support and I'll be very happy since it means that there will still be hope to meet you and your spouse in person. If you do return home I will support that decision too, regardless of how truly sad it will make me.

    I wish the both of you all the very best in your future plans, whatever they may be. Even if you do both go to the US I know that you're bound to return to Brazil at least for visits. Just don't forget that I'm one of the people that should be on the list of those you need to come and see.

    Regards,
    James

    ReplyDelete
  3. James, thank you so much for the kind words. I feel the same by the way. This journey would be impossible if it was not for your assistance throughout the way. I have been told through many people that Manaus isn't even Brazil - I believe it, but it does still fly the Brazilian flag. Rest assured I am not going anywhere - I just need to plan my escape should things get out of hand. Unlike Brazilians I like to plan worst case scenario. Therefor if the time comes and I need or want to leave I do not have to wait a year for passports and visas to be issued. Leaving is the easy way out, however I can't destroy my life by staying here hoping for change. Again, I am not going anywhere, and if I was I would return and you would be at the top of the list! Thanks!!!! Matt-

    ReplyDelete