Tuesday, October 1, 2013

22 Hour Blackout - OVER

Wow. Seriously? I am trying to think back to the longest period of time I went without electricity, and I only can come up with 3 hours, probably less.

At 14:00 yesterday my worst nightmare came true - we lost power. But it wasn't just one of the daily brown-outs we have daily that last 5-30 minutes. It turned into a 22 hour blackout. 

What really gets me is how people are so lackadaisical here. Everything is NORMAL, no matter how absurd or insane you consider it.

When power was restored we went back to our house and passed a house where someone was murdered. It looked like a circus/party. People were laughing and chatting as if it was no big deal. Where is the humanity! Then again, it's NORMAL!
I will limit this post the the Amazonas region as I hear different stories about other regions in Brazil that actually sound NORMAL to me. I wonder what it would be to someone from the Amazonas? SUPER-NORMAL?

Until next time .....

2 comments:

  1. Actually the circus like atmosphere is quite common at murder scenes, serious traffic accidents and crime scenes here in Brazil.

    They seem to get some vicarious and goulish pleasure out of speculating about what happened, who did what to whom, and if they get a glimpse of a corpse being hauled away so much the better. I remember passing a fatal accident scene near my home in São Paulo when I lived there. To my surprise and disgust a guy stopped his car, trotted over to the vehicle in which the fatality had taken place, stuck his cellular phone in the window and began snapping pictures. Now that's sick.

    Another factor that contributes to the carnavalesque atmosphere is the media presence. Just watch the newscasts to see what I mean, all the jerks dancing around and waving their arms in the background. "Hi mom it's me on Rede Record / Band / SBT or whatever!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. I do not know who was worse - the media, the peanut gallery or the Military Police. The MP has the audacity to tell the taxi driver what happened which in summary was "A man killed his wife out of jealousy." It appears the MP was only trying to create drama and rumors because from the article that is not what happened. It was appalling truly. Nevertheless, I truly believe the Amazonas are undeveloped. John told me today it would be practical to have solar panels here. The problem is, I do not think the word PRACTICAL exists in the Brazilian dictionary.

    ReplyDelete