Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Culture shock - no car, banking made agonizing)

For the first time in my life I have no car and now must use others methods or transportation to get around Manaus... I still have not subjected myself to public transit but this Friday I will.. not looking forward to it at all but it is much cheaper than a taxi (R$2.90 = bus anywhere in Manaus.) Yesterday I spent R$30 on a 2.5 hour trip to the bank and grocery store. And banking here is painful. I never have waited longer in my life to deposit money or complete a simple transaction. The ATM machines are not reliable either, hit or miss if they work. You can always find the gringo because they are the ones trying to use the broken ATM because they don't speak Portuguese! (ME) ...

1 comment:

  1. I still have nightmares about my first experiences with banking in Brazil. Ironically it was there in Manaus too. I spent more time talking to bank managers trying to sort out problems than I did sightseeing or doing anything else for that matter.

    ReplyDelete