Thursday, November 14, 2013

USA vs. Brazil = Incomparable... System Crash ... Blue Screen of Death!

I have just returned from what I would call the best vacation I have ever had in my entire life - without a doubt. Yes, I have traveled the world and seen many countries and cultures, but this time my vacation was only 4 days, I didn't want to leave and actually got emotional in the airport when I arrived and the day I left. Destination? The United States of America.

I have said this many times to other people but I finally got the reality check I needed. After 94 days in Brazil and upon my arrival into the United States I finally, FINALLY realized how truly blessed and proud I am to be a "Yank," "Gringo," and most of all American. I equate Brazil to Mars because that is how truly far apart the similarities between the USA and Brazil are. 

I could write a 1,000-page novel but I don't think I need to. I'll just list the key points:

  • I did not lose electricity; have a power surge and/or brownout.
  • The longest time I waited in line was at the border to clear customs, which was 9 minutes.
  • I applied for a credit card online, was approved, and received it in the mail two days later. Never once stepping foot in the bank to provide more information or wait 5 hours only to be told I needed something else and then have to return again and wait another 5 hours.
  • I had trouble sleeping because it was too quite. No trucks, motorcycles, cars racing up and down the road without regard for human life.
  • I was able to buy purchase $700.00 worth of goods at a tax rate of 6% and did not need to provide my:
    • a) SSN/CPF
    • b) Fingerprint 
    • c) Photo 
    • d) Three signatures 
    • e) PIN 
    • f) Was able to complete every transaction with a credit card in less than 5 seconds without worry of the credit terminals having a 3G signal or worry of my credit card number being skimmed by the government.
  • The $700USD worth of goods purchased would have could approximately $2,100USD in Brazil.
  • I was able to drive from place to place with other cars on the road at the posted speed limit while obeying all traffic laws and respecting the rights of others.
  • Was able to carry my wallet in my back pocket without having to check if it was still there 5 minutes later. (And it always was!)
  • Carry my iPhone 5 in public and talk/text without fear of a thief or criminal ripping it out of my hand.
  • Was only required to fill out one form my entire trip, which was my customs declaration form. Everything else was just my signature on a credit card receipt.
  • Went to the grocery store and found everything I needed without the need to visit 6 other grocery stores to complete my shopping.
  • Did not fear police brutality or persecution. 
  • Didn't see military police anywhere - after all in the United States and most of the western world they are only found on the military bases where soldiers are.
  • Did not lose Internet signal even for a fraction of second.
  • My cell phone remained in 4G/LTE and 100% signal the entire time.
  • Purchasing, activating, adding credit, making international calls did not require a SSN/CPF and activation took 30 seconds.
  • I didn't have to watch violent protests every night on the news.
  • Did not have drunks wobbling in front of the door outside my house at 10AM.
  • Went to the ATM only one time to test my Brazilian debit card to verify it worked. Withdrew $20USD and was charged $7USD by the Brazilian bank for the withdrawal - thanks!
I really could go on, but I think we all get the point. From now on when someone says something ignorant or arrogant about the United States I will assume they are just jealous because they live an oppressed life filled by bureaucracy and political corruption.

It took several attempts to convince my parents how much different and bureaucratic Brazil is. After all, if someone told me prior to moving I would have laughed and said THAT IS IMPOSSIBLE! I would have been so wrong.

That said, it baffles me it truly does and I honestly don't see why you can dislike like something so good? All politics and US foreign policy aside.... It ain't that bad. Something must be working. 



1 comment:

  1. Well my friend, I have to disagree with you in some aspects. First off, I am completely aware of the bureaucracy and many problems in Brazil.
    I am Brazilian, born and raised and have been living in NY for some years. I've been traveling back and forth for the last 5 years, and like you, have been to many countries. So when I read this part: "The longest time I waited in line was at the border to clear customs, which was 9 minutes", I have to say I was very surprised. Every time I come back to the US from any country, the wait in line is pretty long, and usually the immigration officers are rude and very unwelcoming (even towards Americans)
    You also said you had trouble sleeping because it was too quite. I don't know where you are from, but in NY I can guarantee your sleeping trouble will have an opposite source: many different types of noise all the time. So noise it's not definitely a problem that affects just Brazil.
    I lived in SP for many years, and have always been able to find all sorts of products and everything I needed in just one grocery store. (and I am picky and selective)
    I know my country has many problems, but I think your post is an inaccurate and arrogant portrait of the reality in Brazil. Brazilians appreciate Americans, and are not jealous of them. And last but not least, "oppressed life"? Really? I guess unfortunately you didn't get Brazil, its people and the way of life. We are very easy going and cheerful people besides the bureaucracy, corruption and disparities of the country.

    ReplyDelete